1815: The first engine used by the company was a cumbersome affair operated by hand brakes and a roller, underneath the box, upon which the rope was wound.
May 1822: Side brake, Gooseneck type tub made by Sayre and Force of New York Sold June 1835 to Boonton Iron works
Photo from 1882 when Exempts acquired the apparatus and returned to Paterson
May 1833: Smaller gooseneck tub Sold 18 months later
June 1835: Goose Neck apparatus "Black Hawk" by James Smith of New York Lasted twenty years and was famous throughout the state, winning many competitions (washes)
March 30, 1853: Van Ness Piano type engine - was so heavy and ineffective - sold to Waverly, NY at cost.
1855: Smith Piano Box engine (with a two wheeled jumper) acquired and used until 1866. In early 1861, sent to Dennison's of Newark, NJ improvement: additional cylinders, platform springs and tongue with reel for drag rope, levers polished and lengthened. Also garnished with inlaid ornaments and Passaic Falls and Valley of the Rocks paintings. Wheels were white with gold striping. A splendid signal lamp surmounted the pumper.
May 1866: Single pump hand pulled, Banks Steam Fire Engine (Paterson's second steamer)
May 1871: Third Class double pump Harrel and Hayes (of Paterson) steam fire engine used until January 1886
November 1, 1885: First Class double pump Button and Blake (of Waterford, NY) Steam Fire Engine. This was the company's last ever built steamer. Serial # was 186
February 1821: Gooseneck hand tub built by James Smith of New York for $700. Barely functional in 1839
1840: New Gooseneck hand tub by James Smith of NY for $754.
February 22, 1864: Piano-box machine built by William Jeffers of Pawtucket, RI.
Jeffers Hand Pumper sold to Charlotte NC in 1875 (now restored)
February 8, 1872: the company received at their own expense a 3rd-class, double pump Jeffers steam fire engine ordered in 1871. Specifics - water pumps 3 7/8 inches, stroke 7 1/2 inches, steam cylinders 6 1/2 inches. It had to be taken out of service in 1875
July 1876: 3rd class, double pump, Nussey Steam Fire Engine (built in Paterson). Used until 1883 when it went to Paterson Engine 9 (if one looks closely one can see a "9" engraved on the steamer lamps). This photo dates to when it was a spare (during paid FD era) parked outside the center bay of the 77 Prospect Street Firehouse
This photo is much later when it was a spare and after apparatus served at Engine 9
Spring 1883: Used the refurbished (with horse hitch) second size 1871 third-class Jeffers steam engine with vertical works and double pump
1855: First engine was a piano-box hand tub built by James Smith of New York. Served until 1868.
1868: Steam Fire Engine built by the Paterson Steam Fire Engine Works. Below is the original engine lamp pictured above on the steamer depicts General (President) Andrew Jackson and his image (modeled after the battle of New Orleans).
1883: Used a third class with double pumps, horizontal works built by Joseph Nussey (of Paterson Steam Fire Engine Company) previously used by Neptune 2. (Note rear engine lamp has a 9 on glass). Photo is when steamer was a spare positioned outside the center door of the Prospect Street Firehouse of Washington 3.