Evolution of the Paid Department
Major Events from 1900 - 1910
February 1900: The Fire Alarm System was moved to City Hall from the Bridge Street Hose Station and thereby greatly improved.
September 25, 1900: Annual inspection of PFD by aldermen an city officials
May 1, 1901: Hitching time for various companies
April 1, 1901: Chief's annual report prophetically advises that no new apparatus had been purchased since 1891 and engines in service were from 10 to 20 years on steady duty. Hose wagons were from 10-16 years old. He advised immediate purchase of two second class engines and two combination hose wagons.
May 17, 1901: Firehouse Inspections by aldermen and Chief Stagg: companies observed as they "hitched up"
May 21, 1901: Department discipline issues
On June 21, 1901, fireworks exploded in a shop in a four-story tenement at 440 Main Street killing 17 people and trapping tenants in apartments above. Three firefighters were injured.
Rescuers used ladders and life nets to save people ``hanging from the windows ready to drop'' when the engines arrived, according to The New York Times.
The Times described the saving of John McGlone and his wife, who lived on the top floor:
McGlone climbed out of the front window and hung on with one hand while he held his wife to his breast with the other. The ladders were all busy, and one of the life nets from Truck 1 was called into use. Twenty men held it, and McGlone was told to drop. "With a superb show of strength he swung so as to carry his wife away from the building and then let go of her. She dropped into the net through the flame. As soon as she could be rolled out Of the net, it was placed for her husband, and he, too, landed safely in it. Still, the husband and wife were "badly burned by their flight through the flames bursting from the windows below,'' according to the newspaper.
July 4, 1901: Leave cancelled for holiday weekend
December 11, 1901: FF suspension
February 8-9 1902: The Great Paterson Conflagration: the largest fire in Paterson's and New Jersey History.
April 11, 1902: Annual Report of Chief John Stagg
November 29, 1902: National Board of Fire Underwriters report on Paterson Fire Department
December 1, 1902: National Board of Fire Underwriters - Needs of PFD after the Great Fire
1903: March - The great Paterson Flood. There was a fire in a submerged district. To reach the fire, firemen had to drag the hose for several blocks through waist deep water which was a swift current. Engine 8 took suction from flood water in the street. Trucks 1, 2 and 3 were called out to aid in relief of people cut off by rush of waters and many daring rescues were made. Over 50 persons were taken from homes by means of ropes and breeches buoys and carried over roofs of buildings several blocks from point of service.
March 31, 1903: After the 1902 conflagration Paterson made a major effort to upgrade the equipment and purchased two First Size Metropolitan Steam Fire Engines for Engine Companies 1 (in May) and 5
1903: New 75' Seagrave Aerial arrived or Truck 2.
1903: Fire Headquarters Office with Chief Stagg and the Fire Alarm Office move to the rebuilt City Hall on Market Street. Superintendent of Fire Alarm John Zeluff is shown in the photo below standing at left with straw hat. Lineman James Curry is at right.
1904: Truck Company 1 at 72 Jackson Street receives a new 75' LaFrance Aerial
January 8, 1904: Building Inspection Report
January 15, 1904: Fireman Harry Kelley of Engine Company 7 is killed in a fall from a broken ladder at the Hincliffe Brewery Fire. He is credited as being the first paid Paterson Fireman to make the Supreme Sacrifice.
January 30, 1904: Kelly Death & Pension at Brewery discussed. Portland Ladder Company defends the ladder that broke.
February 12, 1904: Report of Chief Stagg on apparatus
March 19, 1904: Alderman discuss apparatus purchase decisions
March 26, 1904: Fire Committee addresses firehouse behavior
April 4, 1904: Chief Stagg in annual report called attention to the officers and members who risked their lives and health from dangerous positions in the flooded districts of the City in October 1903. Over 50 persons were taken from their homes by means of ropes and breeches buoys and carried over the roofs of buildings several blocks from the point of rescue.
1904: Two additional First Size Metropolitan Steam Fire Engines were purchased for Engine Companies 5 and 9.
May 7, 1904: Delegations from different city areas petition alderman for new firehouses
June 24, 1904: Mayor state re Underwriters statement
July 12, 1904: Alderman Meeting - Age criteria and department size change
July 19, 1904: Aldermen increase age entry for firefighters
August 9, 1904: Tests of new apparatus: Engine 5 and 9 Metropolitan Steamers
August 24, 1904: Chief Stagg follows FDNY by successfully experimenting with tandem apparatus pumping
1905: Mew Jersey legislature passed a new Pension Law Fund, making it lawful for department members to associate and maintain a pension fund for firemen, their widows, dependent parents and children.
January 5, 1905: Chief Stagg evaluates Newark aerial ladder & contrasts it with PFD Truck 2
February 25, 1905: Aldermen propose to make major PFD changes - many of which never happened.
May 18, 1905: From 13th Annual Report of Chief Stagg - requests a new Central headquarters
June 21, 1905: To consider bids for new apparatus
March 27, 1905: FAO receives an alarm register for a trial period. New alarm box installed and Chief Stagg gets a city map with alarm boxes
July 9, 1905:
November 5, 1905: The positions of Master Mechanic and Master Carpenter were established with the rank of Lieutenant. The first MM was William H Ward and MC was John Crotty.
November 16, 1905: Tenth anniversary of the fully paid Fire Department - Roster of original appointees
December 9, 1905: Debate on where new Nott Steamers will be placed
December 12, 1905: Two new First Size Nott Steam Fire Engines were assigned to Engine Companies 4 and 8.
December 12, 1005: Apparatus reassignment
February 20, 1906:
April 2, 1906: The rank of Lieutenant was added and 14 men were promoted. This ensured there was always an officer in charge of each company at all times.
April 1906: Size of hydrant connections increased from 4 to 6inches within the fire districts - there were now 1098 single, 162 two-way and 36 3-way hydrants.
January 5, 1907: Fire Line Badges
January 9, 1907: News clip: Will insurance rates decrease with arrival of new engine?
January 22, 1907: 3 New Robinson Fire Apparatus combination hose wagons approved
February 10, 1907: First PFD Pensioner - FF William Stannard - Was the first driver of Engine 5 Hose wagon hired in 1896.
February 15, 1907: Test of new Nott Steamer near the Armory
February 16, 1907: Fire Line Badges will berequired to enter fire scener
February 25, 1907: Chief Stagg speaks of PFD needs
February 28, 1907: A new second size Nott Steam Fire Engine was assigned to Engine Company 6.
February 28, 1907: Truck 3 combination chemical/ladder rebuilt and made to be drawn by three horses.
April 26, 1907: Annual Report of Chief John Stagg - Morning Call
April 27, 1907: First Fire & Police Commissioner's Meeting
From Paterson News
May 23, 1907: Board Fire Commissioners give Chief Stagg Executive Control of PFD
June 4, 1907: New power for Chief Stagg
June 21, 1907: Order from Chief Stagg re staggering the days off. Firemen worked 6 days (meaning a full 24 hours with meal time-offs) a week - they had one day a week off. This information from the Journal of Engine Company 8
June 21, 1907: Order from Chief Stagg re caution upon crossing the Erie Railroad tracks: this comes from the Journal of Engine Company 8 on Wayne Avenue.
July 5, 1907:
July 6, 1907: Matters of cost discussed
July 10, 1907: Engine 8 Journal: Chief Stagg orders regarding care of horses: Hereafter all requests for the Veterinary Surgeon to call and examine or care for sick and disabled horses must be made through Headquarters and the man at watch at Headquarters shall make a record of the same. If the Veterinary Surgeon fails to properly care for or
neglects to care for a sick or injured horse after it has been placed in his charge, the company commander will notify the Chief Engineer or Assistant Engineer in charge of department so that a proper report can be made to the Board of Police and Fire Commisioner.
August 3, 1907 Engine Company 7 accident as dog attacks horse
October 19, 1907: FF Daniel McGill dismissed by Chief Stagg for pulling false alarms
March 9, 1908: Captain Cubby (of Engine Company 5) illness
March 27, 1908: The rank of Deputy Chief is established and on April 3 Patrick Sweeney is appointed to the position.
April 4, 1908: Captain Patrick Sweeney elevated to Deputy Chief and FF Charles Nolan to Captain
June 8, 1908:
September, 1908: Engine Company 7 Silsby steamer is destroyed in a collision with an Erie train at a Getty Avenue crossing and fortunately no firemen were injured. Chief Stagg reported it as one of the best fire engines. He advised that the city not invest in steam fire engines until the use of gasoline motors developed.
September 5, 1908: Fire and Police Committee actions
November 27, 1908: Death of veteran (original hire in 1890) and former Volunteer FF (of Neptune Engine Company 2) Charles Wiley. In total Wiley served department for 44 years (4 months short of 20 years on Paid PFD).
December 1, 1908: descriptive obituary and funeral of Charles Wiley of Engine Company 4
February 6, 1909: New rules on when apparatus may depart from FH and that Chiefs must wear white helmets and coats at any fire where water is used
1910-1919: Engine Company Response form
January 22, 1910: New inspection rules
January 16, 1910: Retirement of Assistant Chief Mills set for August 1. Vision deteriorating due to injuries suffered in the Great 1902 fire.
March 19, 1910: FD collisions a concern and Chief Stagg requests a telephone for the home of Chief Sweeney
April, 16, 1910: 6 Paterson FF (Captain Nolan, Lieutenants Coyle and Specht, FF James Sweeney, Frank Boyle and Stephen Walls) go to NYC to study modern firefighting
July 1, 1910:
July 3, 1910: Merit Award for firemen proposed - - to be called the "Boyle Award." Chief Stagg to attend Fire Chief's Convention in Grand Rapids, MI.
July 7, 1910:
July 9, 1910: Chief Stagg issues apparatus driving directive - no faster than a trot!
July 24, 1910 Pension Fund Issues
August 4, 1910: Weather-related Incident at Fire Headquarters (City Hall)
August 6, 1910: Fire line badges recalled
August 6, 1910: Annual Report of Chief John Stagg - Morning Call
August 6, 1910: Mayor Andrew McBride's Annual report
August 12, 1910: Captain Charles Nolan of Engine 7 and brother-in-law of Mayor McBride temporarily upgraded to Assistant Chief - Many questions of nepotism arose
October 25, 1910: Engine Company 10 was established with the opening of a new firehouse at 198 17th Avenue at the corner of East 26th Street. The departments fist motorized apparatus, a Howe Automobile Combination Fire Engine was put in service.
October 25, 1910: Newspapers reporting illness of firefighters
December 1, 1910: New fire line badges
December 19, 1917: Speculation about FD expansion and a new chief
December 17, 1910: Civil Service testing concept