As published in the Paterson Guardian October 27, 1907
Courtesy Dennis Morrison
See below for clear transcription
Transcription of Column (page) 2 above Less than 100 years ago the village of Paterson began to take some means for fire protection. What was at that time considered as a great invention - a hand engine about the size of a horse trough - was brought here in 1807 by John Parke who was in business in Market street, near Mill, spinning cotton and candles wick. The mill burned down in May of the same year and Mr. Parke erected a building that now forms part of the Phoenix Mill group. Parke failed and what became of the engine is not known.
The first engine company organized by Paterson was Passaic Fire Engine Company No. 1, which until December, 1820 , was the only fire company in the village. Neptune Engine Company No. 2 was then organized, but did not go into commission until February 1821. This year the legislature erected the thickly settled portion of Paterson into a fire district, with power to tax the inhabitants for fore protection