December 1, 1954: The department obtains a 1954 Reo Chassis Truck and organizes its first rescue company, called Rescue Co 1, which was operated by the men of Engine Company 5. In radio transmissions it was referred to as "PA 14" short for Paterson apparatus 14. A small boat with an outboard motor was also part of the company.
July 8, 1968: The Reo Rescue Truck moved from 115 Van Houten Street where it was operated by Engine Company 5 to the Southside Firehouse where it was operated by the men of Engine Company 9
May 13 1970:Scuba team initiated with D/C Paul Peterson as supervisor. To be transported by Rescue Truck.
April 19, 1985: A new Saulsbury Rescue truck on a Ford Chassis enters service replacing the old 1954 Reo Truck.
January 10, 1994: Rescue 1 opened as its own company consisting of 1 captain and 3 privates on each shift.
August 20, 1994: Rescue 1 closed as an independent company and was assigned again to Engine Company 6.
September 18, 2006: Rescue 2 opened as a full time company consisting of 1 captain and 5 firemen on each shift. Rescue 1 was designated as the Urban Search and Rescue Truck and manned by men of Rescue 2.
? Date: Large Special Operations building built in behind the Southside Firehouse
2015: Heavy duty, military type Special Operations truck enters service