The first fire company, Engine Company 1 was organized July 4th, 1815, and was ultimately and appropriately named (Passaic Engine Company No. 1) after the river that flowed by the settlement and furnished the mills and factories with (at that time) unlimited power. Number 1 was the only fire company until February, 1821.
The first engine used by the company was a cumbersome affair operated by hand brakes and a roller, underneath the box, upon which the rope was wound. In May, 1822, an engine was purchased from Sayre & Force, of New York. This was a side brake engine which acquired the name "Old Gooseneck" and is shown in the photographs below.
Gooseneck type, apparatus
1935 Firemen's Booster (ball book)
John Reid photo -- Dayspring Collection
From 1939 book "Enjine, Enjine" depicting a winter scene with a Gooseneck apparatus
Gooseneck of Chatham Engine 15 NYC
1820s “Old Wreath of Roses” - From 1939 book "Enjine, Enjine"
Old Gooseneck went out of service 1833-1835 (? exact date) and was sold to Boonton Iron Company but was then reacquired long after (January 1882) by the Paterson Exempt Fireman's Association and was stored on the porch of the Exempt home at Ward and Clark Streets. It was restored for exhibition at the 1948 NJ State Exempt Parade which was held in Paterson. Afterwards, it along with the 1863 Jeffer's steam fire engine of Washington Engine Company 3 were located at the 23rd Avenue Firehouse (Engine 13) and after that house closed in 1962 moved to the 198 17th Avenue Firehouse (Engine 10). When 17th Ave quarters closed the antique apparatus relocated to the Madison Avenue Firehouse. Ultimately they moved to the Paterson Museum on Spruce Street
Old Gooseneck & old Volunteers on Porch of Exempt Home on Clark St
November 21, 1883: Old Gooseneck, the oldest "machine" in the country was featured in a NYC parade
Guardian courtesy Dennis Morrison
1902: Morning Call article regarding Old Gooseneck
Courtesy Jim Eifler
1938: NJ State Exempt Firemen - Won by Paterson N.J. Exempt Firemen - Oldest Hand Engine in Parade
Courtesy Vince Zito - Photo by Vincent Marchese
Courtesy Vince Zito - Photo by Vincent Marchese
Removal from Exempt Home to new home at 23rd Avenue Firehouse
February 16, 1948: Restoration of Old Gooseneck
January 22, 1948 Paterson Evening News - Restoration at Headquarters: In front are F/Fs Harold N Kane, Henry Bush, & John Thompson, In rear are B/C Rudolph Peppinghaus, Cpt Elia Daddario & Chief Aide Willie Comer
August 31 1973 Paterson News courtesy Dennis Morrison
Restorers in 1948 took incredible liberties by hiring a painter who reproduced the Currier and Ives Lithograph on the apparatus (a painting that was conceived and lithographed 40 years after Old Gooseneck was built). The painter was Mrs. Lena Egg at the Hobby Art School in Haledon.
The engine lamp was restored but the glass pieces were from Rescue 1 Hook and Ladder of Passaic, not from a Paterson Company
Engine Lamp Restoration
Inside 23rd Avenue Firehouse
The civic minded folks who made old Gooseneck Restoration possible are seen below in front of the 23rd Street Firehouse (Engine 13). Seated L-R are Battalion Chief Rudolph Peppinghaus, Deputy Chief Hobart Strathearn, Chief James Troy, Harry B Haines (Trustee of Old Gooseneck), Tony Frylink (candidate for president of the state's Exempt Fireman's Assn, Police commissioner Harry Gourley, and William Dalzell. Standing: Captain Joseph Devenport, Clarence Dodd, Charles Egg, Mrs. Lena Egg, William McDonald, James McMullen, Richard Moore and Captain John Crowley. Second row, L-R: Fireman H Kane, Fireman H Bush, Captain E. D'Addario, Fireman Ferdinand Miller, Captain S Simonton (retired), Fireman J Thompson, Randall Sisco, Robert McMullen, Robert Baker and Charles Van Wagner.
Outside 23rd Avenue Firehouse - Sitting L-R: DC Rudolph Peppinghaus, DC Hobart Strathearn, Chief James Troy, Harry B Haines
Souvenir Postcard -- In front of 23rd Avenue FH 1948 Dayspring Collection
Below is presentation certificate given by PFD to the publisher of the Paterson Evening News Harry B Haines (in center wearing ribbon) in 1948. Second from left is Chief Engineer James Troy, 3rd from left is Captain Ed Heitzman and to Haines left is Captain Phil Hartley, Frank Dalton (FMBA president) and far right is Jack Stern (Board Police and Fire Commissioners).
September 25, 1948: Tales of Old Gooseneck
At some point after the 1948 Parade the restored 1863 Jeffers Steamer and the 1821 Gooseneck were transferred from the 23rd Avenue firehouse to Engine 10 quarters on 17th Ave and East 26th Street
Front row L to R-Charles Van Wagner, Howard Robinson, Clarence Dodd, Frank Smith, Mrs Lena Egg, Chief Peppinghaus, Harry B. Haines, Capt. Lawless, Jerrold Oakley, Charles Kessel
Back row-Frank Dalton, August Peters, Jerry Dugan, Eugene Mariani, Capt Ed Heitzman, Al Strysko, James Durkin, Harry McAuliffe, Joseph Kesse
September 27, 1949: Old Gooseneck to be displayed at the Paterson Armory
Paterson Evening News
August 10 1973 Paterson News
Note: The story is partially false. Engine 3 in Pataerson was called Washington 3 long before the steamer arrived in 1863. The appellation had nothing to do with Washington's birthday.
July 5 1955 Paterson News
Rainy day parade. Fireman on right is Nate Salmanowitz
L-R: MIke Ross,Henry Harris, J Shearn, Harold Schoonmaker, Chick Mandara, ?, John Heffran. In front William Comer, Commisioner Edwin Englehardt and ?
May 5 1968: Old Gooseneck wins trophy in Newark parade
May 8 Paterson News
Circa 1980 photos of Old Gooseneck at Madison Avenue Firehouse
AT Madison Avenue FH circa 1980 -- Dayspring photo
"The Gooseneck" Dayspring Photo
On display at the Paterson Museum
1833: Old Gooseneck was replaced by a smaller Gooseneck apparatus which proved to be unsatisfactory and was sold 18 months after acquisition for cost.