198 17th Avenue
Chronological Listing of Events and Apparatus at 17th Avenue
November 25, 1908: Two lots on Seventeenth Avenue and East 26th Street purchased for Number 10 Engine
April 16, 1910: Bids for the auto apparatus which will locate at 17th Avenue Firehouse
July 1, 1910:
October 25, 1910: The Firehouse at 198 17th Avenue (between East 27th and East 28th Streets) opened and housed Engine Company 10
Circa 1917 photographs
At one point, (exact date ?) each Paterson company was assigned its own unique color scheme: specific colored stripes would be on every piece of equipment. Engine 10 colors were red and white.
October 25, 1910: Howe Automobile Combination Fire Engine (built in Indianapolis, IN), 750 GPM (Model AP-N) which was the first motorized (gasoline powered) apparatus used by the Paterson Fire Department. It was six-cylinder engine with 75 horse power. Notice on the rack holding the ladders, in the front has letters: Paterson No. 10 at top and bottom (over grill). Also there were torches on the sides of the ladder rack, a throwback to earlier apparatus.
October 29, 1910: Morning Call
Westside Park Test as reported in Press Guardian - Courtesy Dennis Morrison
November 1, 1910: Test at 18th Avenue and East 24th Street
In the photo below at the Firehouse: On rear step: ? and Jack Anderson. On side: Lieutenant Thomas Coyle, Driver Paul Wentick and Captain William Boyle. On other side John Bierne and ? at crank.
In photo below L-R: Captain William Boyle, Lieutenant Thomas Coyle, John Brett, Paul Wentick, J Roach, unknown
Note that the ladders were moved from the "roof rack" to the sides of the hose bed.
February 4, 1911: Newspaper details an Engine 10 response
February 18, 1911: Problematic apparatus back in service
June 18, 1912: Captain Barton returns to duty after an on-duty leg fracture
September 4, 1912: Apparatus out of service since a July 4th "accident"
November 16, 1912: More issues with Howe Auto-engine apparatus
Second floor sleeping quarters of 17th Avenue Firehouse
May 18, 1913: Article # 11 in the Chronicle Series on PFD Companies Engine No. 10
Left to right: Front row - Captain Thomas Bush, Peter Howden, Lieutenant William Bloom. Second row: Joseph Greer, James Smith, Joseph Murphy and John Brett. Motorized Howe apparatus in background.
Photo below is clearer version but is reversed
July 1, 1916: Two Platoon System begins: (Day and Night Shifts)
Lieutenant William Bloom
Captain Thomas Bush
December 19, 1917: Commercial Truck Company Electric Drive Combination Hose and Chemical Wagon (Serial #7100) enters service. The company also received a new Metropolitan Steam Fire Engine with a Commercial Truck Company Electric Drive (battery powered) tractor.
1918 Ball Book Roster
October 12, 1923: FF Peter Howden struck by auto during inspection at Market and East 25th
1926 photo of the hose wagon and men of Engine 10
Late 1920s: 1917 Metropolitan Steam Fire Engine of Company 10 steamer working at a fire on Broadway and East 33rd Street. Battery (Electric) powered
1930 Company Roster
Acting Captain Stuart Summers
Acting Captain Joseph Rushton
William Lynch Jr.
January 7 1931: Engine 10 received a 1913 First Size Continental Steam Fire Engine formerly used by Engine Company 3 (which initially had a Christie Front Drive tractor and then reconverted to horse drawn after an accident in 1915). Ultimately it received a Commercial Truck Company Electric Tractor in 1917 (Serial #7091). Its use at Engine 10 was short lived due to an accident (see below) and by acquisition of a new Ahrens Fox pumper in July 1931. This is the last steam fire engine that saw service in Paterson.
January 7, 1931: As mentioned, just after being acquired Engine 10's Steamer crashed into a pole at 4:45 PM at Park Avenue and east 26th Street. The accident happened when E10 driver Edward Haycock swerved to avoid a collision with a taxicab. The front of the apparatus was smashed and fireman Andrew Green was hurled from the rear of the steamer.
July 16, 1931: 1931 Ahrens Fox Model N-T-4 1000 GPM pumper (Serial #3401), shown below later in its career when it was assigned to Engine Company 3. For a thorough discussion of this apparatus see Ahrens Fox page.
1935: Men of Engine Company 10 A Shift: Acting Captain Stewart Summers, Walter Pitkethly, Wiliam Walsh, Ferdinand Miller, John Brett, John Whalen
1935: Men of Engine Company 10 B Shift: Captain Thomas Bush, Harold LaRue, Joseph Rushton, William Lynch Jr., William Evans, Andrew Green
1937: 1926 Ahrens Fox N-S-4 1000 GPM pumper (Serial #1668) formerly used by Engine Company 5 (note single front bumper).
1940 Paterson Evening News Golden Jubilee - Engine Company 10 Roster
February 3, 1942: Manhattan Hotel 3rd Alarm - Market at Clark Street scene
1944 Annual Report Roster
Captain Peter Howden
Captain James Chaplain
1949 Ball book photo of Engine Company 10 "A Shift" Captain Gerard Dugan, Eugene Mariani, Ferdinand Miller and Walter Pikethly
1949 Ball book photo of Engine Company 10 "B Shift" Captain Joseph Semas, Joe Leitner, William Evans and Harold LaRue
December 13, 1949:
March 1953: A new 1953 Seagrave 750 GPM pumper (Serial G3795) Model 400B entered service. It had a 150 gallon booster tank. It was in received in Paterson (with 5 others) on February 5, 1953. The cost was $15,754 (1/2 of the cost paid by Civil defense). Had a 150 gallon booster tank.
September 4, 1953: ENGINE COMPANY 10 - From the Morning Call Series of PFD Companies.
Back row L-R: Ernest Wildermuth, Willbert Mariani, David Pickels, Captain Joseph Semas, Harold LaRue. Front row L-R: Ferd Miller, Jim Durkin, Eugene Mariani, Aldolph P Guzik and Captain Gerard Dugan. 1953 Seagrave in background.
1967: Men of Engine 10 with 1953 Seagrave: In front L-R: Captain Harry Asher, Captain Harry Davatellis, John J. Breeze, Herbert J. Stride. Middle row L-R: Edward Allen, Richard Warner, and Thomas E. Hughes. Up top Francis Bergen and Alfred A. Weiss. Note to the rear of the apparatus one can partially see the 1863 Jeffers Steam Fire Engine which was stored at 17th Avenue FH prior to its relocation at the Paterson Museum.
1967: Men of Engine 10 with 1953 Seagrave: Front row L-R: Captain Walter F. McMahon, Captain Joseph R. Semas, George Maloney, Henry S. Kocian, Harold P. Tuohey Jr. Up top Jack Nargiso, Arthur Nardin, Hubert Donnellan.
January 7 1969: Engine Company 10 and Truck 1 sustained serious damage in a collision at Park Avenue and Summer Street. Engine 10 was responding west on Park Avenue to a two alarm fire at 178 Market Street while Truck 1 heading north on Summer Street was relocating to Headquarters after responding to a false alarm at Straight and Essex Streets.
November 1969: 1957 FWD Special 1000 GPM pumper (Serial # D80291) formerly used by Engine Company 5
June 25, 1971: 1969 Seagrave 1250 GPM (Serial # R4478) formerly used by Engine Company 5. See below with ambulance 93 in January 1972 photo
January 30, 1978: 1975 Hahn 1250 GPM pumper (Serial HCP528127621) painted yellow and formerly used by Engine Company 5. The dedication plaque on front of the cab was in memory of Assistant Chief Richard Walmsley.
October 1979: The 17th Avenue Firehouse closed and Engine Company 10 relocated to the new Fire Headquarters at 850 Madison Avenue.