Steam fire Engines, pulled by hand, first appeared in the Paterson Volunteer Department in 1862. Over the next 20 years, because of their increasing size and weight, horses became necessary to pull steam fire engines. As horses required full-time observation and care there was a transition from a volunteer to paid department. Select companies began paying drivers in 1884 and all companies by March 20, 1890. Motorization of apparatus started in 1910 and was completed by 1920. The last steamer left the department in 1931.
Steam Fire Engines by Company
Engine Company 1
March 20, 1890: 1886 First Class double pump Button and Blake (of Waterford, NY) Steam Fire Engine (Serial #186). This was the company's last ever built steamer.
1903: May 27 - First Size Metropolitan Steam Fire Engine
1912: Nott Propelling Motor attached to the First Size Metropolitan Steam Fire Engine
1917:Commercial Truck Company Electric Tractor to power the apparatus
Engine Company 2
March 20. 1890: 1871 (refurbished in 1883) third-class Jeffers double pump steam engine with vertical works
1903: May 30 1884 Second Size Silsby Steam Fire Engine (serial 782) - formerly E5
1904: American LaFrance First Size Metropolitan Steam Fire Engine
1917:Commercial Truck Company Electric Tractorattached to steamer