EPHEMERA:items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity
304 Market Street
Neptune 2 -- Dayspring Collection
Neptune 2 inside cover
Jackson 4 -- Dayspring Collection
71 Wayne Avenue
Ball Invitation 1893 Exempt Firemen Reception
1894 Committee Invitation
1894 Committee Invitation
1863 Broadside: Posterfrom the company foreman announcing the death of fireman Theordore Bush of Protection Engine Company 5:
A 'baseball' type card full set was put out by BUCHNER GOLD COIN TOBACCO in 1887 featuring prominent Police and Fire department figures in the U.S. at the time. The card below features Chief Engineer John Stagg.
Chief Stagg's personal copy of The illustrated "Records of the Paterson Fire Association" 1821 -1854 published by William Nelson in 1894. Only 100 copies printed.
1896 Annual Report -- Dayspring Collection
1901: Chief Engineer Stagg's Stationary: On left transferring men and on right box assignments for Engine Company 9. Note that the chief's office was then in the City Hall on Market Street
Ticket to 1908 Parade
1909 Parade Invitation
1905 Constitution and By-Laws of the Fire department Pension Fund of the C ity of Paterson, NJ. This book belonged to John Heinzelmann (appointed in 1908) whose signature is below
1915 Vote for Two Platoon System on November 2 1915. A small folding pamphlet listing Paterson Fire Alarm Boxes - (2.5 by 5.5 inches)
1918 Pension Fund dinner program
1925: Membership Card of John Heffran for NJ State FMBA (Branch 2)
1928 FMBA Ball Invitation
Operating a movie projector in Paterson required operators to obtain a license from the board of Police and Fire Commissioners. Here is a 1932 card
April 21, 1938: Award ceremony attended by Governor of New Jersey. Less than a month after 5 FF were killed at Quackenbush warehouse fire
December 31, 1942: Certificate of War Necessity, by US Office of Defense Transportation for Engine Company 7 1930 Ahrens Fox #3389
1952 Birthday Dinner Program as the Police and Fire Departments celebrate the birthday of Mayor F Lester Titus
Dinner Placard 1953
Inspection Invitation from Board of Police and Fire Commishiners
R Salmanowitz / A Natoli Collection
Courtesy of Parkin Family
Unknown Date -- Dayspring Collection
May 17, 1878: Presentation Certificate from Brewster Hook and Ladder 1 of Newburgh, New York to all companies (each Paterson company is listed) and Chief and Assistant Engineers of the Paterson NJ Fire Department in appreciation for the hospitality shown by PFD to the Newburgh Companies on their 1877 excursion to Paterson. Special thanks offered to Foreman Dennis Murphy, Assitant Foreman James Kearney, Sceretary William Boyle and Treasurer William Martin of Paterson's Eagle Hook and Ladder 1.
Passaic County Historical Association
Retirement Announcement re Deputy Chief Patrick Sweeney July 1, 1912
The Officers and Members and extra Men of the Paterson Fire Department beg to extend to their retiring Deputy Chief Patrick Sweeney GREETING - Regretting that he is about to leave us, we beg to extend to him our appreciation of his courtesy and kindness and just treatment of the men of the department. He joined the volunteer department October 15, 1860. He was made chief of the volunteers May 10, 1869. When the paid department was organized he was appointed driver on August 5, 1885, was made Captain March 20, 1890 and Deputy Chief on April 4, 1908. His associations with us will always be pleasant memory and we wish him song, life and happiness --- Signed by 6 members of the committee.
Battallion Chief Charles Nolan retirement dinner
The rank of Battalion Chief was established in 1912 and Charles Nolan became the first in PFD history. He never made it to the rank of Deputy Chief. In the photo below he is wearing a Battalion Chief cap (2 crossed trumpets). The deputy chiefs during those years were Michael Comer and James Sweeney. The latter died at the 1938 Quackenbush fire which is when Nolan became an acting deputy chief.
FMBA Fire Alarm Box Assignment Pamphlet
PFD Rules and Regulations Manual
Captain John Weber Truck 2
Michael Comer who became Deputy Chief
Belonged to Charles S Walker (ultimately an Assistant Chief)
City of Paterson Fire Prevention Code 1959
1941: One of Chief Strathearn's Training book
Below is a March 20, 1890 Journal and page from Engine Company 8 on Wayne Avenue - the first day of the new partially paid department.
Apparatus Proposals and Pamphlets
Paterson bought several Battery Powered apparatus from CT in 1920s
1928 order specs for Engine Company 13
Children's Book 1936
Written a bout the Paterson Fire Department - profusely illustrated with apparatus and firehouse graphics. Story of a young boy, Captain Peters and Fireman Joe. Gus Peters was a Paterson Fireman at the time.