97 Grand Street
Chronological Listing of Events and Apparatus at Grand Street
May 2, 1911: Mayor McBride announces Stony Road Firehouse lot purchase
March 12, 1912: Chief Stagg makes preparations for opening of Stony Road Firehouse. A Captain is sent to be at the quarters a month before the apparatus is transferred
March 18, 1912: The Firehouse at 97 Grand Street (corner of Quinn Street) opened less than one month after the Titanic sank on April 15, 1912. Engine Company 11 relocated to this house from its 10 Hotel Street quarters.
March 18, 1912: Used the Autocar Automobile the company had in the Hotel Street location.
May 25, 1913: Article # 12 in the Chronicle Series on PFD Companies - Engine No. 11
Left to right: Captain John Crowley, John Walsh, James Brady and Lieutenant Thomas Hunt in front of their motorized chemical wagon.
If you blow up the photo and look closely at the hat badges you will see the officer on the far right has a single horizontal trumpet: that is a lieutenants' hat badge: he is Thomas Hunt. The Captain (John Crowley) at the far left has two vertical trumpets on his cap badge. The firefighters (Walsh and Brady) have Maltese cross PFD badges on their caps. Note also that the two firefighters (non-officers) in the middle have a single row of coat buttons whereas the two officers (Captain on the left and Lieutenant on the right) have a double row of buttons. Also the Captains lapel pins are larger than the lieutenants. The two firefighters have no lapel pins. Also seen on the apparatus is the E11 helmet with a white shield with 2 vertical trumpets at its tip, belonging to the Captain.
September 4, 1914: Still alarm for Engine 11
July 1, 1916: Two Platoon System begins: (Day and Night Shifts
Captain John Crowley
Lieutenant Thomas Hunt
October 1916 photo: Commercial Truck Company Combination Hose and Chemical Wagon with Electric Motor (Serial #7102)
1917: Engine 11 gets a electric (battery) powered apparatus from Commercial Truck Co of Philadelphia.
1918 Ball Book Roster
Captain John J. Crowley
Lieutenant William Loughlin
November 7, 1922: Chief suspends E11 firefighter
1930 Company Roster
Captain James Troy (future Chief)
Acting Captain John Hess
January 1935: Ball Booster Program: Captain Edward Cusack Sr.
1935: Men of Engine Company 11 A Shift: Captain James Troy, John Dougherty, Isaac Reigotte, Luke Cannon
1935: Men of Engine Company 11 B Shift: R Campbell, Acting Captain John Hess, Hubert O'Connor, John Reardon
November 30, 1932: 1922 chain-driven second size American LaFrance Triple Combination Hose and Pumping Engine (500 GPM), Serial # 5030) acquired from Haledon NJ Fire department: this apparatus had been severely damage, in an accident. The Ahrens Fox representative had it repaired and gifted it to Paterson. In PFD records this is referred to as either a type 12 or type 75 model. The apparatus is seen in this 1942 fire scene photo.
WW II era photo of Auxiliary Firemen on E 11 ALF apparatus
May 5, 1938: Captain John Holly of Engine 11 receives ward for a heroic rescue. In photo are Chief Coyle, F/F of Engine 11 and their ALF apparatus in the background
1940 Paterson Evening News Golden Jubilee - Engine Company 11 Roster
1944 Annual Report Roster
Acting Captain Isaac Reigottie
Captain John Holly
November 15 1948: 1927 Ahrens Fox Model N-S-4 1000 GPM (Serial 331) pumper formerly used by Engine Companies 3 and 1
1948 Engine Company 11 Journal with Roster and Badge Numbers
1949 Ball book photo of Engine Company 11 "A Shift" Captain James Coyle, John Dougherty, James Rafferty, and Issac Reigotti
1949 Ball book photo of Engine Company 11 "B Shift" Captain John Holly, John Kedash, Basil Brosnan and Robert Magee
July 15, 1950: Paterson Evening News lists early 1950 Rosters of Engine 11
March 1953: 1930 Ahrens Fox Model H-P-4 1000 GPM pumper (Serial #2312) formerly used by Engine Companies 1 and 4. Photo below is as Engine Company 4. This apparatus was retired in March 1958 and sat in a field in West Milford NJ before being sold in 1961 to Community Fire Company of Wayne, NJ where it was restored.
September 18, 1953: ENGINE COMPANY 11 - From the Morning Call Series of PFD Companies.
Front row L-R: Roger Brosnan, George Reid, Jack Nargiso, Joseph Raneiri. Rear row L-R: Captain George Findlow, John Dougherty, John Cichon, George Kilgour, Captain Elia D'Addario. The Ahrens Fox pumper (originally E1 and E4) is in the background.
June 2, 1954: Auto collides with Engine 11, driven by FF Jack Nargiso, as it was backing into quarters just before midnight. Company had responded to a fire on Union Avenue at 10:12 PM.
January 23, 1958: Engine 11 receives a 1953 Seagrave 750 GPM formerly used by Engine Company 3 (serial G3793)
E 11 quarters with Pellegrino "Bill" Vitale, Patsy Fusaro, Pat Giglio and Bob Lenoy in front of Seagrave pumper
October 21, 1963: Engine 11 log book for the General Alarm at Franklin Finishing Corp on Keen Street (Station 656). Company responded on 4th alarm. Performed several functions including scavenging equipment from the incinerated Truck 3 aerial. FF who responded to recall including an auxiliary FF are listed.
1967: Men of Engine Company 11 with 1953 Seagrave: Front row L-R: Captain Patsy A. Fusaro, Captain Fred Armona (LODD), Robert Lenoy, Nick Ricciardi, and Joseph Mendillo In rear on apparatus are John Minardi, Leonard Saia, Patsy J. Giglio.
1967: Men of Engine Company 11 with 1953 Seagrave: In front L-R: John Alexander, Edward W. Hunt, Captain Joseph O'Neill, Vito Tiritilli, and Captain David R. Pickels and at top George Reid and John Donohue.
December 1, 1969: 1957 FWD Special 1000 GPM (Serial D80294) formerly used by Engine Company 1.
Circa 1973: In quarters photo of Captain Fred Armona holding his grandson Greg, who is wearing an Engine 11 Captains helmet (posed in front of apparatus)
April 1975: Firemen assembled at Engine Company 11 for the funeral cortege of Captain Fred Armona (Supreme Sacrifice). L-R: Captain John Walton, Vincent Zito, Captain Robert Woodruff, James Ramundo, Nicholas Ricciardi, James O'Neill, Captain Terry Pelligrino, and Gary Knorr
February 1, 1978: Company receives a 1971 Hahn 1250 GPM (Serial HC523127120) formerly used by Engine Company 1 and 6.
Interior views of quarters: Note gasoline tank - apparatus would be filled through window while parked on street
September 3, 1982: Department renumbers the Engine Companies (see official order at Overview Page). Engine Company 11 ceases to exist but the company becomes Engine Company 7
November 30, 1983: 97 Grand Street Firehouse closed for repairs and Engine Company 7 relocates to the Hillcrest Firehouse - This came about starting with a Saturday inspection Assistant Chief Joseph Forbes discovered evidence of a floor collapse due to the weight of the Hahn Pumper. A report was sent to Chief Kane and Mayor Graves did a follow up inspection and approved the repair funds.
Firehouse Closed and Engine Company 7 moves to Hillcrest Firehouse
Partially refurbished FH photo (note new door frame)
August 4, 1984: The refurbished firehouse reopens and Engine Company 7 (note new sign on FH) now operates here using a 1971 Hahn 1250 GPM pumper which had been painted white)
1987: Engine 7 receives a new Emergency One 1500 GPM pumper
Circa 1999: Engine 7 L-R: F/F Jake Rozell, Captain Kevin Hancock, F/F Gabe Aboyoun, F/F Art Reda, and F/F Joe Statuto
97 Grand Street Firehouse with a West Paterson FD pumper on Mutual Aide assignment
2006: Engine 7 receives a new Emergency One 1500 GPM pumper painted red
January 26, 2006: FF at Grand Street FH discuss new firehouse quarters
April 19, 2013: 9th. The 97 Grand Street firehouse closes because of structural weaknesses of the apparatus floor and the Engine Company and apparatus moves to the Hillcrest Firehouse on Union Avenue. Below is April 16th order closing the FH
April 19, 2013: Firehouse closing with erroneous headline. The FH was built in 1911 and opened in 1912, not the late 1800s
April 22, 2018: Grand Street FH now serving PPD -- LODD Officer Tamby Yagan