Chronologial List of Important Events
Evolution of the Paid Department
1980 - 1999
January 5, 1980: D/C and one time Acting Chief James Kennedy dies. Erroneously identified as a captain in news clip
February 19, 1980: Record setting # fires for month of February
May 11, 1981: Aide for Chief Engineer (Car 70) is discontinued
June 26, 1981: Engine Company 1 and 7 closed for fiscal reasons: Below is order from Chief Kane as well as FMBA response.
October 1981 Manpower issues
November 13, 1981: A new 100' American LaFrance Aerochief rearmount Aerial is assigned to Truck Company 2 (painted yellow)
January 25, 1982: Deputy Chief Comer testimony re October 15, 1981 lethal fire
February 4, 1982: City to lay off firefighters and demote Captains
February 5, 1982: Judge temporarily halts layoffs
February 20, 1982: Engine Company 2 and Squad 1 are closed for fiscal reasons.
February 20, 1982 through May 26, 1982: A quickly rescinded order -Reserve Company
June 28, 1982: Fire Headquarters at 115 Van Houten Street closes. Truck 2 relocates at 850 Madison Avenue Firehouse and Engine Company 5 and Rescue Truck to Southside Firehouse. Truck 1 (pictured below with Ambulance #95) moves to Hillcrest Firehouse and Battalion Headquarters are located at Southside and Riverside Firehouses.The Fire Department offices move to the Public Safety Complex on Bridge Street.
July 7, 1982: Madison Avenue is officially designated as Fire Headquarters
September 3, 1982: Engine Company numbers 11, 12, and 13 are eliminated. Companies are renumbered. Order signed by Acting Chief Alfred Micozzi is below. Engine Company 6 assumes operation of the Rescue Truck.
October 18, 1982: 3rd Battalion reopened at Hillcrest Firehouse. The First Battalion moves from Southside to Lakeview Firehouse
December 1982: Supreme Court does not rule in favor of Paterson Firemen legal action
June 20, 1983: Aaron and Rachel Meyer Memorial Fund pledges money towards PFD purchasing a new Rescue truck.
July 4, 1983:
November 30, 1983: Chief Kane announces a new company assignment for Battalions due to relocation of companies (described as temporary)
December 2, 1983: Negotiations between with FF and Paterson
December 7, 1983: Councilman Rooney regarding PFD salary adjustment
January 1984: Engine 5, then at Lakeview Firehouse is closed. Third Battalion is closed and the First Battalion is relocated.
October 18, 1984: The Alexander Hotel fire taxes the fire department and several heroic rescues are made.
On February 27, 1985 fireman Vincent Zito received the Firehouse Magazine Heroism and Community Service Awards of $3,000 which was the top monetary award in the seventh annual program, the largest of its kind in the country. Zito was cited for his bravery in the Oct. 18, 1984, fire at the Alexander Hamilton Hotel, one of the worst blazes in the city's history.
December 3, 1984: The Third Battalion opens at the Hillcrest Firehouse
December 3, 1984: Engine Company 9 is transferred from the Circle Avenue Firehouse (because of building structural weaknesses) to the 77 Highland Street Firehouse. Satellite 9 enters service at the Circle Ave quarters.
December 28, 1984: Establishment of a "Hold" Company and "X" boxes
January 12, 1985: NJ Fire statistics
February 19, 1985: Engine Company 1 at Madison Avenue Firehouse receives a new Thibault 1250 GPM Telesquirt.
February 22, 1985: William Comer was appointed Chief Engineer after promulgation of the Civil Service test.
April, 1985 Fire House Magazine: Firefighter Vincent J Zito is named Firehouse Magazine National Heroism Award winner for the most outstanding rescue at Alexander Hamilton Hotel Fire on October 18, 1984.
June 29, 1985: Story about PFD artist (cartoonist) FF (future Captain) Ed Conklin
August 31, 1985: The 90th Anniversary of the fully paid department (1895-1905) is celebrated with a large parade through the city and a Muster at Pennington Park. The book Taking the Heat is published and Official Souvenir Mugs which depict and Ahrens Fox and ALF Telesquirt pumpers. are sold.
Souvenir Mugs were also sold: personalized ones were pre-ordered
1985: New A 110' Pirsch rearmount aerial painted white purchased and put in service as Truck Company 1 at Madison Ave firehouse.
January 1987: The Northside Firehouse opens on Temple Street. The 1969 Seagrave pumper used by Engine 9 relocated from 77 Highland Street. Truck 2 also relocates from Hillcrest FH.
February 10, 1987: PFD fills skating rink with water
1987 and 1989: Department receives four Emergency One, 1500 GPM Pumpers painted white. They were assigned to Engines 4 and 7, and then 6 (shown below) and 1.
June 29, 1987: Hold company eliminated
October 17, 1987 - Battalion revision - Reopening of 3rd Battalion and Chief assigments
Tour Commanders: Ed Hancock, Charles Walker, Joseph Forbes, Edward McLaughlin
September 10, 1988: DC Joseph Roca suspended
October 6-28, 1988: Charges made and defended regarding a response to a September 1 incident
February 1, 1989: Chief Comer fights retirement. Results of recent tests places John Mauro, Joseph Forbes and Dennis Di Guglielmo placed first thru third.
July 26, 1989: Chief Comer appealing his retirement
October 7, 1989: Decision on Chief's list
April 8, 1989: Charges from the September 1988 incident against D/C Joseph Roca dismissed
November 12, 1990: PFD is short of needed FF
1991 (fall): Truck Companies renamed as Ladder Companies
1991 (fall): Department obtains an E-One Hurricane rear mounted 100' aerial painted white and assigns it to Ladder 1. 4 door enclosed cab with heating and AC. 1969 Seagrave Aerial to be retired.
1992: Passaic County Community College ad using newly appointed Captain Vince Zito
October 13, 1992: Budget/payroll issues
November 3, 1992: Chief John Mauro ordered that 3 of the privates assigned to Engine 6 would be assigned to Rescue 1. Rescue 1 would respond to all assignments that Engine 6 responded to, as the Captain of E6 was responsible for all of the men. Rescue 1 would also respond to structural fires with or without Engine 6. If without they would report to the incident commander who assumed responsibility for them. However the UFOA did not agree to the practice of a company without a Captain and filed a grievance.
December 1, 1992: The Paterson Fire Department members decided to withdraw from the state FMBA and established the Paterson Fire Association. Firefighter Glen Vetrano is the first president.
July 4, 1993: Mass Casualty Unit for PFD. North Jersey Hearld and News clip
November 13, 1993: Layoffs postponed
January 10, 1994: Rescue 1 opened as its own company consisting of 1 captain and 3 privates on each shift. Chief Mauro's order is below.
February 22, 1994: Firehouse roof repairs
March 7, 1994: Larry Franklin becomes PFD's first black Captain
August 19, 1994: Rescue 1 operation as a company ceases. Returns to functioning as part of Engine Company 6
A rare Engine 6 Shield (blue background) used when that company was operating the Rescue Truck
1994: Ladder 3 was the first tractor that E-One (Spartan gladiator chassis) had built and then it was mated it to a Sutphen tiller (painted white). The tiller had been built previously for another city and not used. To save time with the build it was purchased put together at E-One then shipped to Paterson
June 1, 1994: The department went to a 24 hour on 72 hour off shift. Tour 2 was the first shift to work it.
June 8, 1994: Paterson advertisement for firefighters
July 26, 1994: PFD needs to recruit firefighters
August 20, 1994: Rescue 1 closed as an independent company and returned as part of Engine 6 and manned only when needed. Reasons were ? financial
October 8, 1994: Trial of an assault attempt made against DC Tasca at an East 18th Street fire in March
November 10, 1994: Serious firefighter shortages
March 20, 1995: The paid Department celebrates its 100th Anniversary
April 30, 1985:
August 31, 1995 100th Anniversary Parade
November 30, 1995: Buyout for Chief Mauro
December 5, 1995: Firefighter's Hours discussed by town council
June 1996: City of Paterson resolution re Firefighter Edward Conklin
October 1, 1996: "Manpower" or Squad One put back in service at Southside Firehouse. Manpower was the extra Captain and private on duty that day. It responded whenever the Captain deemed it necessary and performed functions ordered by incident commander. The company either used a chief's gig or the Rescue Truck. Order details from Chief Pasquariello below:
October 9, 1996: Fire Prevention ceremony at Madison Avenue Firehouse
1. Mike DeLuccia 2. William Filippelli 3. Tom Baldwin 4. D/C Dennis Deguglielmo 5. John Harris 6. Captain Michael Ventimiglia 7. Captain Herman Garrett 8. COD James Pasquariello 9. Bob Poloniak 9. B/C Michael Fleming 10. B/C Robert Meyers 11. Bob Effenburger 12. Joe Bradley
November 8, 1996: Squad One order update
July 19, 1997: Summertime hydrant issues
November 1, 1997: PFD goodwill with the community in action
December 12, 1997: Settlement with Retired Chief William Comer
1998: Department obtains 3 Emergency One RD Murray (Spartan Chassis) 1500 GPM pumpers painted white and assigns them to Engines 1, 4 and 5.
June 12, 1998: Proposal to reduce # Battalion Chiefs and increase # captains
August 18, 1998: New equipment for apparatus
October 10, 1998: PFD has to rescue mannequins at Passaic Falls
October 25, 1999: Chaplain Rev John Piccione