In May of 1871 the company moved to the commodious quarters at No. 112 Van Houten Street between Washington and Church Streets (which should not be confused with the 1912 Central Fire Headquarters at 115 Van Houten Street). It was a two story brick building with an iron front and a basement. A third class, double pump engine was acquired from Harrell & Hayes, of Paterson, at a cost of $5,000. Their hose cart was four wheel, carrying 450 feet of fabric hose. The steamer, drawn by horses did good service until January, 1886, when they bought a Button steamer, shown below.
Passaic 1 was the first Paterson company to introduce horses in the department in 1884; followed by the sliding pole, in 1885, and the steam heater in 1886.