The firehouse at 37 Twenty Third Avenue (at East 21st Street) opened on October 20, 1928 to house the newly created Engine Company 13. The house was built with two bays for future expansion and in 1952 Truck Company one relocated there. Ultimately the house closed prematurely in 1962 due to the construction of Interstate Route 80 which required the land on which this firehouse and Engine Company 4 on Slater Street existed. Very few photos of this firehouse have come to light.
1928: Correspondence related to ordering a pumper for the new Engine Company 13
Chronological Listing of the Apparatus at 23rd Avenue house
October 20, 1928: Engine Company 13 enters service with a 1928 Ahrens Fox Model N-S-4, 1000 GPM pumper (serial # 3334). It was the first Paterson Fox to have its Dietz Lanterns placed above of the rear hose bed. Note the testing report below (September 1928) performed by Master Mechanic Harry Dawson. The actual contract for this apparatus is on the Ahrens Fox Page
1935: Men of Engine Company 13 A Shift: Captain Eugene Murphy, Harold Kane, Joseph Dunn, John Toomey, J Kelly, J Heinzleman
1936 Ball Book Photo
1935: Men of Engine Company 13 B Shift: Captain James McLoughlan, Henry Bush, Elmer Probert, James Chaplain, Joseph Bray, Charles McGee
1936 Ball Book Photo
Pictured below is Chief Engineer James Troy with his driver Joseph Dow in the late 1940s with the gig parked outside the 23rd Street quarters (barely seen to the left). Engine Company 13 Ahrens Fox is in the background.
1949 Ball Book Photo: Engine Company 13 "A Shift" Captain Herbert Dodds, John Toomey, Joseph Dunn, and Edward Westhoven
1949 Ball Book Photo: Engine Company 13 "B Shift" Captain Elia D'Addario, Harold N Kane, Henry Bush and John Thompson
1952: Truck Company 1 relocated from 72 Jackson Street Firehouse to 23rd Avenue. At that time Truck 1 was using a 1929 Ahrens Fox Aerial 85-6-1 (Serial # 2047) which was acquired from Hastings on the Hudson, NY. It is shown below in front of Engine Company 13's bay. It was the only Paterson Ahrens Fox aerial to have a windshield and the only one to have its Vesta searchlight on the Captain's side (left) of cab.
1952 Wire Factory General Alarm on 21st Ave at Beech Street. Note a second AF aerial in upper background
March 1953: Engine Company 13 received a 1931 Ahrens Fox, 1000 GPM, Model N-T-4 (serial #3401) pumper previously used by Engine Companies 10 and 5 (pictured below when it was at Engine Company 3. The previous 1928 Ahrens Fox (Serial 3334) became a spare and sold in 1957.
Ahrens Fox 3401 when it was at E3
1954 photo of E13 on apron: Front L-R: Captain Sal Madama, Harold N Kane, Frank Murray, William Flynn, Anthony Corbo, Joseph Dunn, William McVey, Captain Herbert Dodds. Back row L-R: Thomas Walsh, Raymond Allex.
May 11, 1954: Truck Company 1 received a new 1954 FWD tractor (Serial # 8042) which was attached to its Ahrens Fox Aerial (Serial # 2047).
1954 Ballbook photo: Front L-R: Captain Frank Early, Captain Theodore Tice, Russell Stephenson, Haarry Ripey, Frank Hebda, John Sisco. Back row L-R: Ed McEwan, Paul Shaw, Frank Dalton, Joe Donnelly. (apparatus is Ahrens Fox aerial: Serial # 2047)
December 20, 1954: Truck 1 received the 1952 FWD 85' aerial (Model FA85K) previously used by Truck Company 2.
The scene below is 1956 School 24 fire. Truck Co 3 is at bottom in foreground and Truck 1 at the top with aerial raised. On the ladder of Truck 1 is Angelo Contini with an unknown uniformed officer above him. Rescue Truck also visible. The other Truck in the foreground is Company 3 which had a 1954 FWD cab with an a 1932 Ahrens Fox 75' aerial trailer.
The photo at right, taken later at Lakeview Firehouse is of the 1954 FWD cab. The 1952 FWD cab did not have the "FWD" below the grill.
January 23, 1958: Engine Company 13 receives the 1948 Mack Model 95 1000 GPM Triple Combination pumper formerly used by Engine Company 5. It is shown below, later in time, at the Lakeview Firehouse on Trenton Avenue (with its 1968 plywood riot roofs).
February 3 1962: The 23rd Avenue Firehouse had to be vacated to make way for the construction on Interstate Route 80 which was bisecting Paterson. Both Engine Company 13 and Truck Company 1 relocated to the newly constructed Lakeview Firehouse at 125 Trenton Avenue.